Once again - I post a photo of the dinner I'm making and I'm instantly flooded with messages asking for the recipe!
This one is DYNAMITE! Literally the best homemade soup ever and it's crazy simple!
This recipe makes an extra large batch! We like to keep it around for the week because it's an easy snack to throw in a coffee mug and heat up in the microwave!
- 10 medium sized yellow onions
- 1 stick of butter - sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp fresh thyme - minced
- 8 cups of beef broth
- baguette - sliced & toasted
- shredded havarti cheese
- Shredded gouda cheese
- Cut your onions in half, then slice thin strips (*Tip: I wear my kids swimming goggles to get through this process = no tears!)
- Melt butter in a large pot (you'll need the biggest one you've got!)
- Add your sliced onions, reduce heat to medium low, and cook until tender and caramelized (this takes about 40 minutes). You will want to stir them occasionally so they don't stick to the bottom of your pot. Your pot will look SUPER full when you put the onions in, but not to worry, they will reduce down a LOT.
- Whisk in flour, salt, pepper, sugar & thyme. Simmer for about 5 minutes - stirring often.
- Add in beef broth, cover & simmer for about 20 minutes
- Put soup into bowls, add a couple slices of the toasted baguette, cover with cheese & broil in the oven until cheese is melted and browning
- Eat & Enjoy!